Sunday, January 13, 2013

Book - The immortals of Meluha

Author : Amish Tripathi

My rating : 3/5


Proved yet again that not all amazing ideas become amazing books….

Wow!
+  I had been waiting to get my hands on this book for the sheer audacity of the concept of reimagining Shiva mythology. The refreshingly original idea of what if Shiva was human is amazingly fascinating.  A very fresh storyline and interesting concept. The idea itself of combining the mythological era and mapping it to a contemporary era seemed innovative.  Very appropriate for fast reading. Can just breeze through it and get it don’t in 2-3 sittings. Some concepts illustrated in the book are very thought-provoking. The idea of a society and the two different aspects of a society and a human being was brilliantly described. The book grew more interesting towards the end.

Hmmm..
In spite of the fantastic idea, to me the book was a complete let down due to the terrible writing. I was constantly distracted by the casual writing and so couldn’t enjoy the book as much as I expected. I agree that the idea is innovative but still owing to the writing quality I still feel it is a very over rated book. I felt as if I was reading some movie script or a blog. Conversations are too casual and boring at times. Dint like the casual usage of words like Shit, Damn, Dude, son-of-a-bitch,  which seemed not very appropriate for the historic era it portrayed  (1900 BC). Usage of concepts like antioxidants, terrorism etc also seemed out of placed for that era. There are many other clichés and glitches in the narration/story. Though the story was gripping at few times, it still needed better treatment. Currently reading the sequel. Lets see, if it can change my mind  :).

No comments: